Thursday, October 23, 2008

Long-term portfolio view wins the investing battle

Carrying on from last weeks look at my Portfolio and how it is getting a pasting, I have to make a point to those that have poked their ignorant little tongues at my propensity to invest in companies for the long-term.

As many who follow the Share Investor Blog might know I follow Warren Buffett's approach to investing as much as I can; buy stocks at a price that I consider value for the long-term, in good companies that have a competitive advantage, a good track record, excellent prospects for growth and good dividends.

The bulk of my portfolio is around 6 years old, but I have added some more stocks with additional money and dividend income.

My portfolio is currently up by around 7% when tax credits are included and in my not so humble opinion, considering the pasting global stockmarkets have been getting over the last year and especially in the last month a stockmarket meltdown rivaling the 1987 crash and yet my portfolio has performed extremely well.

This is principally because I have taken a long-term view to my stockmarket investing, received healthy dividends, re-invested most of them and haven't sold and because of that it has put the portfolio in good stead during the inevitable current downturn.

Of course, short-term things could get worse but long-term you will wish you didn't sell up because I will still be there when you start buying again.


Recent Share Investor Reading

Related Amazon Reading

Bear Market Investing Strategies (Wiley Trading)
Bear Market Investing Strategies (Wiley Trading) by Harry D. Schultz
Buy new: $58.93 / Used from: $16.99
Usually ships in 24 hours


c Share Investor 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on Share Investor Stuff